Is Norway Peace Loving?

I'm not so sure

VikingJosh Rogin has produced a table showing all the countries that joined the most recent major international military interventions spear-headed by the US. He shows that the no-fly zone in Libya is the smallest coalition in decades. (h/t Daniel Larison)

Try to guess the seven countries that have participated in all six interventions, which are Iraq I, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq II, and Libya.

Canada, Denmark, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, and the United Kingdom.

I doubt very many people would have gotten at least four right. That means guessing only two other countries because the UK is obvious and I gave Norway away. Canada - I probably would have guessed, but Denmark or the Netherlands?

Here's the list for Libya:

Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Qatar, Romania, Spain, Turkey, UAE, and the United Kingdom.

14 countries compared to 40 from Iraq II. That's somewhat a reflection of the speed at which the coalition was put together, but that certainly isn't a point in favor of intervening in the current case.

I have no idea about how the Norwegian government decided to participate in these wars or even what is required for Norway to join an intervention. But I would think that it is harder for Norway to commit troops to battle than in the US. Now, I believe that both Kosovo and Libya are unconstitutional actions by Presidents Clinton and Obama. So that means either my assumption about Norway is way off, or Norway's government was even worse than the US for skirting their country's requirements of going to war.

I'll have to check up on that. But I'm not in good blogging shape right now, so it will have to wait for another post.

UPDATE: Glenn Greenwald has more good points on the Libya War's unconstitutionality and Obama's Bush-era justification of his Commander-in-Chief powers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure that Norway, home of the Peace Prize and perhaps the leading country in the world whose diplomats engage in organizing third party peace keeping interventions, is mightily conflicted on this matter. It is a bit curious that several different Norwegian governments have supported the US, through thick and thin. As a 100% Norwegian American, I will just cut them so slack on this one. When King Olav comes to the Twin Cities this fall, let's talk to him about it. Yah, sure.
T.O.M.

Norwegian Shooter said...

Money talks and BS walks.