An Actual Apology from Rick Sanchez

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Moment of Zen - Sanchez Taser
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorRally to Restore Sanity
I'm posting this somewhat so I can include the video of Rick Sanchez getting tasered. Jon Stewart has shown this clip umpteen million times on The Daily Show. It just never gets old. So that's what Sanchez was thinking about, not his daughter's softball game, when he said this: "I think Jon Stewart’s a bigot."

I don't have a problem with that, everybody's entitled to their opinion. But Sanchez couldn't back it up, he had no examples of bigotry, just some lame distractions like "He can’t relate to a guy like me. He can’t relate to a guy whose dad worked all his life. He can’t relate to somebody who grew up poor." I think "snob" is the word for that. Although, to his credit, Sanchez walked the bigot charge back pretty quickly: "All right, I’ll take the word bigot back; I’ll say prejudicial [sic] — uninformed."

Great, however that didn't stop Sanchez from actually going off the deep end later. Talking about Jews in general:
Very powerless people… [snickers] He’s such a minority, I mean, you know [sarcastically]… Please, what are you kidding? … I’m telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they — the people in this country who are Jewish — are an oppressed minority? Yeah. [sarcastically]
Now, it's not wrong to state Jews are over-represented in the media or in various professions. They are. The problem comes when you suggest that this happened because they are Jews and not individuals with the skills and talents to succeed in these positions. Does Sanchez do that? I don't think so. He also said that Jews don't experience "real discrimination" these days - while enthusiastically playing the weeping violin for Hispanics, including himself - but he doesn't go the full cabal.

Saying "everybody who runs CNN is a" Jew and "a lot of people who run all the other networks are" Jews goes too far. However, it is not bigoted or prejudiced, at worst it's a stupid and gross generalization. As the interviewer Pete Dominick said, Sanchez has a gigantic chip on his shoulder and he just can't take the fact that Jon Stewart, whom he repeatedly refers to as the most trusted newsman and as today's Walter Cronkite, makes fun of him. Dominick, a former warm-up comedian for The Daily Show, tells Sanchez that comedians don't give a damn about anyone's feelings in pursuit of a joke, but Sanchez won't hear of it. Hey, if you can't take the heat ....

Sanchez didn't have to worry about that for very long. CNN quickly canned him. I also have no problem with that. At the least, he insulted CNN and its management. I don't know very many businesses that would tolerate such comments from someone who is basically a spokesman for the brand. It would have been interesting if the comments were directed at different media. Fox? PBS? The New York Times?

Listen to the whole interview:

Of course this burned up the internets pretty badly. Dominick addressed the buzz on Monday and took the absolute highest road there was to take. He didn't do a single interview with anybody and only said he wouldn't talk about it anymore because it wasn't important. Bravo Pete Dominick. Check out his show here. And you have to watch The Daily Show's response that same Monday, Hurty Sanchez. Funny stuff and some wisdom, too:
Perhaps the silver lining of this situation is, it's a chance for all of us to get in touch with, not our dirtier, but our better Sanchezs. ... Perhaps even CNN will be now looking to use his vacated time slot to get in touch with their better Sanchez. And starve parasites like myself, by putting on quality news and discussion.
Stewart is Walter Cronkite!

Okay, that's a long introduction to the actual apology. Sanchez said this a week later:
I said some things I shouldn't have said, and they were wrong. Not only were they wrong, they were offensive, and people were offended by it. I am very much opposed to hate and intolerance, in any form, and I have frequently spoken out against prejudice. Despite what my tired and mangled words may have implied, they were never intended to suggest any sort of narrow-mindedness and should never have been made. I take full responsibility. It's not CNN. It's Rick Sanchez. Rick Sanchez screwed up.
Speaking in the third person might be a tiny weasel, but it might just be egoism. Besides that, it is a superb apology. In particular, notice how he said "people were offended by it." Not "I'm sorry if people were offended by it." Now that's an apology. Bravo gigante Rick Sanchez!

UPDATE: Brian Kilmeade, the Fox & Friends' brunette, shows what a non-apology is:
On the show on Friday, I was talking about Bill O’Reilly appearance on the View and I said this: “Not all Muslims are terrorists but all terrorists are Muslims.” Well, I misspoke. I don’t believe all terrorists are Muslims. I’m sorry about that if I offended or hurt anybody’s feelings. But that’s it.
Think Progress has some basic background and Glennzilla has the goods.

0 comments: